Aristotle defined POLITICAL SCIENCE as the study of the state, although the term was not always distinguished from political philosophy.
In its contemporary notion, political science is a recent addendum to the corpus of social sciences, aiming at the establishment of general or -more recently- specific principles underlying the world of politics.
From the grand theories of the past, political science gradually moved towards a more constructivist approach, through the introduction of and combination with other sciences, such as sociology or psychology.
Thus, contemporary scientists accept the inadequacy of one sole theory to explain every development in the world of politics, which had been the case until the 1990s.
This section of my blog is like a drop in the ocean, considering the large body of existing theories, perceptions and preferences of researchers. In this sense, I will attempt to shape it according to my personal research interests and undertakings.
Below you will find a number of translations of mine (Aggelos Zikos) in the field of political science, either from English to Greek or vice versa. Although they have different topics, authors and approaches, they all stand under the umbrella of political science and its numerous bypasses.
“Brussels Update” contains briefs in view of upcoming meetings of european institutions, as well as post-meeting reports. Nikos Chrysoloras, Crisis Observatory research associate and journalist (Brussels Correspodent), is the editor of this section.
- Nikos Chrysoloras: Why we should be cautious about cheering on Cyprus’ no vote, March 20, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: “Bailout” Comes at a Heavy Toll for Cyprus, March 25, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: Europe risks losing an entire generation, April 5, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: Evaluation, but not without Asterisks, April 17, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: Eurozone is lost in econometrics, April 26, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: Eurozone enters a new phase, May 16, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: Progress on Tax Evasion – Concern about Energy, May 25, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: Towards a Third Program of Financial Assistance for Greece, June 25, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: June’s EU Summit: “Hey, What did you expect?”, July 3, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: The Eurogroup of Temporary Solutions, July 15, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: Awaiting the German Elections. Eurozone: Scheduling for Fall, September 9, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: The next crucial developments for Greece are expected in December, September 23, 2013
Nikos Chrysoloras: Eurogroup. Two Major Problems for Greece, October 16, 2013
- Nikos Chrysoloras: A Summit of Timetables, October 29, 2013
OPINION ARTICLES – VARIOUS AUTHORS
- Alexandros Mallias: ”A Hymn to Sorrow” for Europe, April 13, 2013 – Crisis Observatory
- Anastasia Papakonstantinou: Young Scientists Flee Abroad: Brain-Drain? Brain-Gain? October 3, 2013 – Crisis Observatory
- Antigone Lyberaki: Should Europe shut the door on immigration? Definitely Not! April 13, 2013 – Crisis Observatory
Costas Isychos: Bankocracy or Democracy? March 28, 2013 – Crisis Observatory
Costis Chatzidakis: Greece Can Succeed, March 28, 2013 – Crisis Observatory
Dimitris Katsikas: Insisting on the Same Recipe: A First Assessment of the Cyprus Bailout Deal, March 29, 2013 – Crisis Observatory
Donatella della Porta: Protest and Democracy in Southern Europe: Beyond (neo) Liberal Democracy? March 28, 2013 – Crisis Observatory
Kevin Featherstone: A Window of Opportunity, but Will it Be Taken? March 28, 2013 – Crisis Observatory
- Moravcsik, A. The Choice for Europe, Greek Translation-ΟΙΚΟΝΟΜΙΚΟ ΣΥΜΦΕΡΟΝ, ΣΧΕΤΙΚΗ ΙΣΧΥΣ, ΑΞΙΟΠΙΣΤΕΣ ΔΕΣΜΕΥΣΕΙΣ, May 2012
- Interview of Martin Hirsch, President of Agence du Service Civique, to the Crisis Observatory, November 28, 2013
- Interview of Paul De Grauwe, Professor at the London School of Economics, to Dimitris Katsikas, Head of the Crisis Observatory, July 15, 2013 – Crisis Observatory
- Interview of Vivien A. Schmidt, Professor at Boston University, to the -Crisis Observatory, September 23, 2013
- Interview of Dimitris Kourkoulas, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs, to Nikos Chrysoloras, June 17, 2013
- Interview of Barry Eichengreen, George C. Pardee and Helen N. Pardee Professor of Economics and Political Science, University of California, Berkeley, to Dimitris Katsikas, Head of the Crisis Observatory, June 7, 2013
- Interview of Panos Tsakloglou, Chairman of the Council of Economic Experts, to Dimitris Katsikas, Head of the Observatory, April 19, 2013
- Interview of Stelios Stavridis, President of the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund, to Pavlos Efthymiou, Research Associate of the Crisis Observatory, May 10, 2013